The true leader

La Luna is sleeping, so I get a chance to take a peep of my friend's activity on Facebook. And I spotted this woman. Name is off the record.

I knew her since she was an account director in my previous office. Not one of the best, I have to say. I personally think she is too old for advertising industry at that time. 10 years ago.
But then her career climbed up and still up 'till this present day, for now she has become group business director and the office's business grows fast since she held the position.

Today, I am smiling looking at her picture with her team and their supports (that would include secretaries) is having so much fun sailing in the sea with a yacht. I feel inspired. She was not one of the best account director, but I must say now she has become one of the best leader. Compared to her colleague who was way better than her in 2004, this lady I am talking about has grown more mature in leadership and in contrast, has rejuvenated in heart.

Why I think she was one of the best leader, why I even bother to make this special post on my blog, that is the question.

The picture looks simple, but I am thinking (more exact on making speculation, actually) what went on behind the picture. The fact she was a busy leader. The fact she has her own company she started 10 years ago when I knew her. The fact she has to leave her family this weekend for the team's outing. And to me, that costs a lot. Of course, the team should not be merely a team. She has to build the team to become a great family too, then she can do what she is doing today. I think, she did it and it is not an overnight job *bow hat*

Can I do that?

I don't need to take a long run to answer that. The answer is: "I don't think so."All my career, I think I am just a professional. I dedicated my weekdays for the office, so weekends are for my family. That is why I rarely attend the office outings if it was held on weekends. Thus, makes me think I cannot be a good leader. I am just ... to cold. Too strict and just being professional. I don't think I would have the time to think of my subordinate's feelings or emotions or neither I have the ability to grow a second family. Because you know, ... being a leader is not only about doing jobs. You have to be inspiring and nurturing at the same time. A leader has to be devoted as a whole to all parts, both office and personal life. A leader has to be able to make time start from coming to subordinate's wedding, staying late after office to assist them, a simple birthday cards and morning greetings. Never a good leader come to office, close the door and put on their headphones.

There there.

Well, now I am enjoying my pancake with maple syrup and a cup of tea.
I think I have made the right decision for my life today.

:)


Comments