A little thought for the future

Of all the things I am worried of growing a child, what I worried most is my child’s formal education or it’s what we usually call school education. Not to mention their emotional and spiritual growth is not important, but school education is something you need to think thoroughly because you can’t ever flipped back the pages you and your kids been through. Once we entered the system and that would be the path of how our kids deal with at least for a whole year through. To add with, we can’t ever forecast the future while we need to fill in our kids through education, for their future.

I am one of the Indonesian massive public education graduates, and I am sorry to say that my times during school times were stressful. Not because I am too stupid, but in contrary, everything was based on academic and I was too stressful to maintain my position in the top scorer league. My objective was how to give perfect answers to all quizzes I had back then, not to understand of how things went like this or that, or busily experiencing my mistakes during those trial-error times, which were school times. I did not have enough time to explore thoroughly what my interests were, I did not have enough time to discover myself. Sad, yes it was. But I thank God I have great parents who always support me to explore what I want in life, up to this moment.

Now is the time that I am being a parent. I grew-up with score as the only variable that determined the stressfulness of getting through school times and it is not easy to change my mindset to modern education. But yes, I do really want to switch. I don’t want my son to be stressful like me. I don’t want he thinks good scores will determine his success in the future. I want him to explore his interest, and I don’t want to carve my preferences on him any deeper. I want him to do trial-error in his school times and learn its consequences. I want him to grow up not to avoid mistake, but to be the expert of how to recover from his mistakes. When he goes to school, I want him to have fun by playing, meeting his friends and found himself.

I think these are what we need to achieve in basic educational program, to develop our kids' self-confidence and make peace with them self by exploring their selves better.

Comments